Sea kayak skills course – designed for those who want to do full or multiple day paddling
If you're new to the sport of sea kayaking, or want to improve on the skills you have already, our course will get you up to speed.
This is a comprehensive course designed to cover the skills required to become a technically correct and safe paddler. The course runs over 2 days, in a progressive manner to allow you to develop techniques and confidence at an enjoyable pace. At the end of the course you will have an understanding of what's involved in preparing for a day out kayaking (one day to multiple), whether you are paddling solo or in a group.
Session 1 – At a local warm pool. We will cover;
- Basic safety aspects
- Correct method to climb into and out of a kayak on land
- Wet exits and rescues
Session 2 – is held in sheltered water in Acacia Bay, where you will learn:
- How to set-up your kayak
- Beach launching
- Paddle strokes
- Kayak handling (namely – kayak support strokes, steering with your paddle, edging or railing your kayak to gain control)
- Beach landing
- and run through the rescues again for those who want to try it in open water, if time permits
Lake Paddle: We head off for part of the day to practice what you have already learnt and cover the issues of paddling on the lake or seas in NZ. This includes weather, trip planning, communications, safety equipment, and lunch.
A great day out!!
- Kayak equipment (but you can bring your own; kayak, spray deck, buoyancy aid
What you need to bring:
- Togs, Thermal top & bottoms or wetsuit
- Water Bottle
- Comfortable clothing to paddle in – NO jeans.
- Thermal top and bottoms – for rescue training
- Sandals / aqua shoes, or footwear that can get wet
- Sun glasses
- Sun Hat
- Sun block / insect repellent
- Raincoat or paddle jacket
- Swimwear and Towel if you want to go for a swim
- Plastic (shopping) bag for wet gear after swim
- Fleece / Warm Hat
- Thermal or fleece tops
- Waterproof jacket
- From Base – Unit 2, 876 Acacia Bay Road, Acacia Bay, Taupo
- This 2 day course is run on a demand basis, and generally over 2 consecutive days (generally held over a weekend)
- 9am start each day
- Booking are essential over the phone
- Private lesson (1 on 1) $650.00
- Groups of up to 4 people $400 per person – (a minimum of 2 people required for a group lesson to run)